Action Canada Fellowship 2018 – FAQ
Date: Friday February 16, 2018
- Do individuals need to be nominated for the Action Canada Fellowship?
No. All candidates must apply for this program.
- What is the deadline for the submission of applications?
All application documents and supporting letters must be uploaded and submitted online by 5 p.m. PST on Friday, 30 March 2018.
- What is the difference between the candidate’s letter and statement?
The candidate’s letter should include information about:
- Importance of the program for the current stage of the candidate’s life;
- The candidate’s future career plans;
- Importance of civic engagement to the candidate, and desire to make a contribution to Canada;
- Candidate’s ability to transform ideas into action;
- Candidate’s ability to respect and understand new and different perspectives in addressing public policy issues;
- Candidate’s views on how an individual creates change and the circumstances for change.
The candidate’s statement should respond to the following question:
In policy-making, science and evidence can clash with values and perspectives. What should take precedence and why?
- Should the candidate submit the letters of reference? Should the referees email or mail them directly to PPF?
No. The candidate is to provide, online, the contact information for three referees. PPF will automatically generate a request to each referee to upload a short letter of reference in support of the candidate’s application.
- To whom should I address my application?
Applications should be addressed to the Action Canada Fellowship, National Selection Committee.
- Is the Action Canada Fellowship open to all disciplines or only those related to public policy and leadership?
The Action Canada Fellowship is open to individuals from all walks of life. Prior or current studies in a particular discipline or a specific type of work experience are not requirements of this program.
- Must candidates be Canadian citizens?
Yes, applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Is the Action Canada Fellowship a full-time program?
No. While the commitment to participate in the Action Canada Fellowship is substantial, participation in this program is to be undertaken in conjunction with the applicant’s regular work or studies.
- What is the time commitment for participation in the Action Canada Fellowship?
The time commitment is substantial. Fellows must be available to travel and participate in all study tours associated with the program. Tours will take place on the following dates, in various locations across Canada:
- June 20-22, 2018
- August 15-18, 2018 or September 12-15, 2018
- October 17-20, 2018
- November 14-16, 2018
- January 8-11, 2019
- March 5-7, 2019
These dates may be subject to change. The Public Policy Forum will make every effort to notify Fellows about program changes as early as possible.
- When does the Action Canada Fellowship begin and end?
The program will begin on June 1, 2018, and conclude on March 31, 2019.
- Are costs related to participation in the study tours covered by PPF?
Travel and accommodation costs for all components of the program are covered by PPF, according to federal government travel directives. Meals are also provided as part of each study tour program.